Tuesday, March 27, 2007

How do Canadians & Americans differ? NHL vs. Britney

I just got the latest issue of Backbone Magazine, a Canadian tech and business magazine. I should be reading the cover story on the top 300 Canadian tech companies, but what struck me is an item they had on Canadians vs. Americans top search queries on Yahoo last year.

Yahoo compiled the top searches for 2006 and the results reveal a lot about each country's national character. Neither country comes off looking particularly erudite, we just exchange one shameless pop-culture obsession for another.

Top 10 Canadian searches
1. NHL
2. FIFA World Cup
3. American Idol
4. Rock Star Supernova
5. WWE
6. Neopets
7. Revenue Canada
8. Days of Our Lives
9. Environment Canada
10. Jessica Simpson

Top 10 U.S. searches
1. Britney Spears
2. WWE
3. Shakira
4. Jessica Simpson
5. Paris Hilton
6. American Idol
7. Beyonce Knowles
8. Chris Brown
9. Pamela Anderson
10. Lindsay Lohan

NHL vs. Britney - that really sums up the difference between Canada and the U.S.

Despite our differences though, we both share a great love and obsession with Jessica Simpson, wrestling (WWE) and American Idol.

At least, Canada has some items on our top ten that aren't embarrassing - though it is embarrassing that Shakira didn't show up. I'm sure I searched for her enough times to get her on the list. But then I guess search logs, like hips, don't lie!

Another interesting point, the American show Rock Star Supernova appears on Canada's list (as Canadians won both seasons) and Canadian superstar Pamela Anderson doesn't appear on our list. Guess we're all residents of a dorky global village now.

While Revenue Canada is on the top ten for Canada, I can't imagine the IRS appearing too highly in American queries. But then as the saying goes "Canada is the only country where an accountant is a national hero".

Biggest surprise: Days of Our Lives. I had no idea that show was so popular with my countrymen. I can' t believe it beat the great totality of my searches for Shakira????

No comments: