Wednesday, November 01, 2006

e-lections!

We are having municipal elections soon in Ontario. Would love to vote online as some communities in Ontario allow, but Toronto doesn't allow it.

Voting online might actually help get voter turnout a little better than pathetic. Also, with a two-year-old in tow, it's no picnic going to a crowded voting center. Though I have to admit that I'm dubious that a national election online vote site could ever support the traffic that would be asked of it.

Even though we can't vote online, I can honestly say in the last few elections I have been way more informed about my voting choices thanks to the Internet. Some candidates have great sites with lots of info and others don't. While I won't not vote for someone just because they have a bad website, it certainly shapes my opinion.

Also, yesterday I emailed a candidates and got an answer in a day. This is way better than attending candidates debates (which are few and far between) and trying to squeeze in one's question.

Here's an article on the whether or not Internet voting is inevitable

No comments: